Facebook added a new bookmarking feature a few years ago to its web and mobile apps. This feature, known as “Saved”, lets people save anything from links, photos, pages, places, and events. It is useful when you need to remember something. After 4 years, the function is finally being updated. Now you can selectively group items from your Saved list into collections. So, you can share collections on Facebook with your friends and invite them to contribute.
How to create and share collections on Facebook
You can create and share collections on Facebook from both the desktop web version and the apps.
- Visit Facebook and in the left column, click Saved.
- On your saved page, you should see a New Collection button. Click on it, give your collection a name and you’re done.
- After creating a collection, go back to the Saved list and you will see the “Add to Collection” button next to each item in the list. Click on it, select the collection to which you want to add the item and it will be added to the collection.
To share a collection with a friend and invite them to add items, you will also need to go to Facebook apps. The collaboration feature is yet to be added to the web interface.
Make sure you are using the updated Facebook app.
- Open the app.
- After that, go to the hamburger tab.
- Tap Saved, and on the Saved screen, you’ll see a Create Collection button. Tap on it, give your collection a name and you can start adding items.
Collections in the Facebook app are designed much better than the web interface. You can add contributors from the collection page by tapping the Invite button and you can add items by tapping the Add items button. In the application, you can add items from the saved list and even from the outside.
This feature is quite useful. The Saved list allows you to retrieve pages and posts that interest you and the Collections will allow you to collaborate with your friends if you are planning an event, such as lunch.
It’s definitely better than sharing links and pages through a chat thread where you need to constantly scroll to find something. There seems to be no limit to the number of friends you can invite to a collection or to the number of items that can be added to one.