Do you want to get rid of your Google account? Well, you’re in the right place. In this article, I’ll tell you simple steps to delete or deactivate the Google account. In particular, you can completely delete or disable your Google account with one touch. That said, you can also opt for removing specific services from your account, including Gmail, YouTube, among others.
How to delete or deactivate the Google account?
On some occasions, your Google account may no longer be needed. Now that you won’t use it, it’s better to say goodbye by deleting it completely. Such situations arise sporadically where you want to completely abandon a Google account for specific reasons. Having said that, I’ll show you the steps to delete or disable the account. But remember that the deletion will be permanent. Fortunately, you can download your important data before doing the same.
Also Read: How To Use The New In-App YouTube Chat
Before deleting your Google account: back up Google data
If you intend to delete only your Google account or even your Gmail account, it is always recommended to download and save the data in advance. To back up data:
- Open your web browser and go to https://myaccount.google.com/ and go to “Data and personalization” in the left sidebar.
- Scroll down and tap the “Download your data” option under the heading “Download, delete or create a plan for your data”.
- Select the Google products you want to include in your file. Next, configure the settings for each product and click “Next”.
- Now, customize the file format, delivery method, and archive size.
- Choose the file type between .zip, .tgz and .tbz
- Select the file size between 1 GB and 50 GB (it will be divided into a smaller size if the size is too large)
- Opt for a direct download link or save the backup to Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive as a delivery method
- Finally, tap “Create Archive” and the data will be sent to you using the delivery method chosen.
What happens when you delete your Google account?
Now that you’ve backed up your data, it’s important to know what happens when you delete your Google account. After deleting your account:
- You will lose access to all data and content on that account, including emails, files, photos, and calendars.
- It is not possible to use Google services to access services such as Gmail, Drive, Calendar or Google Pay.
- You will lose subscriptions and content purchased with that account, on YouTube or Google Play. Includes content such as applications, movies, games, music and television programs.
- Google Chrome history, saved passwords, bookmarks will no longer be accessible.
- Your Gmail address will be deleted. Emails sent to the corresponding Gmail address will not reach you. However, your address cannot be reused by you or anyone else.
- You will lose all your contacts synchronized with the account.
- You will lose your account in applications, games, and services where you used the previous account to register. Therefore, connect another authentication service better before deleting your account.
Permanently delete your account in 2 minutes
Once you are completely sure of losing the things mentioned above, proceed carefully with the following steps to delete your Google account:
- Go to your Google account settings and go to “Data and personalization”.
- Scroll down, search for the “Download, delete or create a plan for your data” heading and tap the “Delete a service or your account” option.
- Then, click on “Delete your account”, re-enter your account password and continue with the instructions displayed.
Once the above steps are completed, Google will completely erase your information from your ecosystem. If you change your mind, you can reverse the removal process by logging into your account within 2-3 weeks.
Remove Gmail, YouTube, and other Google services from the account individually
What happens if you want to remove a certain service from your account? Well, in this case, it is not necessary to completely delete your account! To remove Gmail, YouTube, Google Plus or any other Google service, follow the instructions below:
- Follow steps 1 and 2 of the previous procedure to delete the account.
- When you are on the “Delete a service or your account” tab, tap the “Delete a service” option.
- Enter the password again.
- On the next page, you can choose the service you want to remove.
To delete your Gmail account, click the trash can icon next to Gmail. You can do the same for YouTube, Play Games, Google Play, Google Plus, etc. This way, you can delete a particular Google service without affecting your account.
So, these were some methods on how to delete the Google account. Let us know your questions (if any) in the comments section below. We’d also like to see why you planned to delete your Google account.