Telegram is an extraordinary app and its features are sufficient to surprise anyone. The unique features of the app, such as the availability of different bots, user access to different exceptional channels and different groups make Telegram the best messaging app. One of the unique features of this app is that you can save Telegram’s chat history on your device.
Now the question arises: why do we have to save the chat history and export it locally? Well, some would like to keep it for the sake of memories, while others will keep it as a sort of backup. But in any case, the fact is that it is actually possible to do so.
Unfortunately, the Telegram mobile app does not allow the export of chats, but the Telegram desktop and web make this task possible and we will show the methods with both. Using them, you can easily save Telegram chats on a Windows or Mac PC.
Also Read: How To Simulate A Notch On An Android Phone
Save Telegram Chat History From Desktop App
Exporting Individual Chats
Although your chat history always stays secure on Telegram thanks to its cloud-based servers, even if you want to save the conversation with someone locally, that’s how you can do it.
- Start the Telegram app on the desktop and open the contact for which you want to export the chat.
- Now click on the three-dot icon in the upper right corner of the screen. Of the various options available, click Export chat history.
- Immediately after clicking, a chat export settings window will appear. Here you can select different files such as photos or videos you want to export along with your chats. You can also set the file size limit you want to transfer by moving the specified bar from side to side. You can also select the download path along with the dates, the data between which you want to download.
- Click EXPORT in the same window after making all the adjustments.
- Once the file is ready, click SHOW MY DATA to view the file.
The exported file will be in HTML format, so it can be opened with any browser.
Saving All Telegram Data
The method discussed above is good when you want to save the data of a particular chat. But what happens if you want to have the complete data of your Telegram account at hand? It will be a really long and complicated process if we use the previous method since it is necessary to save the data of each contact individually. Telegram understands your problems and that is why it has a function that allows you to save all the chat history and other data simultaneously.
- Start the Telegram app on the desktop and click on the three-line icon in the upper left corner.
- Click on the Settings option later.
- A pop-up window will open. Click on the Advanced option.
- Next, select Export Telegram data from the various options.
- In the next window, you can select the data you want to include in the exported file. They can be personal chats, contact lists, account information, group chats, photos, GIFs and everything else that is present in your Telegram account. As before, you can limit the size of your data and even select the location of your download. The format selection can also be made between human-readable HTML and automatically readable JSON. Finally, click EXPORT.
- Now simply click on SHOW MY DATA as above to view the Telegram data saved on your device.
Export Telegram chats from Telegram Web
If you do not use the Telegram desktop app but still want to export the chat history, another option is available. With Web, the activity can be performed and the process is really simple. Add an extension to your Chrome browser.
- With the Chrome Web Store, add the Telegram chat history extension to Chrome.
- Now open Telegram Web and select the chat for which you want to export the chat history.
- Next, click on the extension icon available in the upper right corner. The extension automatically extracts the conversation and simply clicks the save icon at the bottom.
The chat history is finally saved on your Windows or Mac PC as a document. You can locate the file and read conversations without using Telegram now. This method has a disadvantage compared to the method used by the Telegram desktop app. The user can easily save text messages, but it is not possible to save photos, videos or anything else.
The use of Telegram is always a lot of fun. The app developers are constantly trying to improve our experience with the app and this is why we can export our chats and other data through the app with such ease. We hope that soon they also add the save feature to the mobile app, but until then we will have to use the desktop app and Telegram Web to do the job.