Instagram announced some time ago that it would introduce a feature that allowed users to keep track of how much time they spend in the app. This function, called Activity, is now available for iOS and Android users. Make sure you are running the latest version of the app and you will be able to view your activity on Instagram and limit the time you spend on it. That’s how.
How to track your Instagram Activity
- Open Instagram.
- Go to the Profile tab.
- Tap on the hamburger icon / other options in the upper right corner.
- In the navigation pane that opens, you will see the “Your Activity” option. If you don’t see it, give it a day or two.
- When you tap on the option of Your Activity, it will show you how much time, on average, you spend on Instagram. Each bar corresponds to the time spent on a particular day. If you tap and hold a bar, it will show you how much time you spent on Instagram that day.
- To limit the amount of time you spend on Instagram, tap the “Set daily reminder” option on the activity graph.
- Select for how much time you want to use Instagram and tap Set Reminder.
You can also manage notification settings from this same screen, although it doesn’t offer new settings. They are the same as the app before adding activity controls.
Discard And Change the Reminder If You Want
When the assigned activity time has expired, i.e. if you have used Instagram for a longer period than the one set in the daily reminder, you will see an alert on the screen that will tell you how much time has passed. You can discard it and continue using Instagram if you wish. It won’t force you to leave the question. You can also change the reminder time of the alert, if necessary.
Social networks can take up a lot of time and people are realizing that spending too much time on any type of social media platform is harmful to you. It’s not just because you constantly watch a screen, but also because it can have an impact on your mental health. iOS 12 has a feature called Screen Time that allows you to limit the time of use of social media apps on your phone.
However, consuming too many social networks is not a specific problem of the platform. Everyone, regardless of whether they use an iPhone or an Android phone, must keep track of the consumption of social networks, so it makes sense that the apps have the integrated function instead of relying on the operating system to add it.